[thelist] Windows XP editions

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Thu Sep 11 21:40:42 CDT 2003

Scott James <evolt at coldcustard.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:11:21PM +1000, Michael Pemberton wrote:
> > To install on a different system, you may need to run the install from dos
> > remove the automation.  At worst, you could get hold of a "backup" copy
from
> > an "alternative" source, your legal product key should work.
> >
> > If I've left anything out, just yell.
>
> This is not the case.  OEM keys will only work with OEM versions of
> windows.  That has been the case since win95 and before .. sorry ;-(

There are ways to convert a normal cd to an oem one.  from memory it is simply
a key change in one of the ini files.

There is also a few "all-in-one" cd images out there that contain OEM versions
of the software.

I can remember the good old days when Microsoft put so little effort into the
process that Win95 accepted Dos 6.xx product keys. :)
---
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au