[thelist] Dynamic intranet site

David Travis dwork at macam.ac.il
Sun Sep 14 04:10:26 CDT 2003

Hi Norma,

When you extract data from the database it is not parsed by the ASP
interpreter, it is treated like a normal string with content, thus it is
sent
to the browser unparsed.

If you want to execute a string with ASP code in it, you can use Eval()
function.

About your idea of design, basically it is ok to do it like this for SMALL
sites, but from my experience it gets pretty nasty to maintain such code,
when there are changes to do. You will find yourself writing too many "If
... Else... End If"s for presenting different structure/data in certain
cases your clients will set.

I recommend to have a set of ASP pages, each ASP page serves HTML for one
entity of data in your site. To generalize the structure use ASP Server
Includes, set header/footer/menu/etc, and use them in each ASP page.

By the way, it is highly recommended to upgrade the site, if possible, to
ASP.NET, there are much more flexible methods there to develop web
applications using generic designs and templates, which will apply all pages
in the site.

I personally offer ASP services mainly for maintenance these days (I develop
in ASP 3.0 only when there is no other alternative), ASP (3.0) is dead.

Good luck!

Sincerely,
David Travis.
http://www.bachi-software.com/