[thelist] Dynamically 'Piping' the contents of an email account to a web page?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon Sep 15 16:31:08 CDT 2003

Thomas Hebert wrote:

> Here's my question, is there a way to 'pipe' the contents of an email
> account to a web page? I'd like to create a kind of distance-based
> dairy, using an obscure address (something like
> dfd7fgg6gh5 at mydomain.com) and sending emails to it from various places
> around the world. I'd like to put in place 'something' (php/cgi/cron
> job/?) that periodically grabs emails that I've directed to that account
> and simply appends them to the bottom or top of an ever-growing HTML
> page (i.e. www.mydomain.com/travels.htm)

In /etc/aliases (or /etc/mail/aliases, depending...) :

dfd7fgg6gh5: "| /usr/local/bin/myProgram"

where `myProgram` does whatever security stuff you feel appropriate
and then writes (appends) the stream to your file.

You might also consider having the file being appended to be just
an include to another file, so the page remains well-formed ...

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.