[thelist] DB Design question

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Mon Sep 15 20:04:53 CDT 2003

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts on the matter. I'm thinking of
using Jeff's idea of a separate lookup table (ActiveBreeds) containing
the relevant breed ID's. There eventually will be a second column for
ShelterID (per Josh's suggestion) once I "upgrade" the database to
handle multiple shelters.

As a follow up question, I've read some introductory texts on DB
design but I'm interested in resources (URL's or books) on good DB
design for implementing slightly more advanced concepts like handling
multiple clients, as in this case a single DB for multiple shelters. I
know as a general principle I'll use a ShelterID to associate with
each piece of data belonging to a particular shelter, but I'd like to
get a handle on some good practices for how such DB's are designed.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s