[thelist] Opera, Mozilla = GOOD, IE = What The?

Tim Burgan burgan at iprimus.com.au
Wed Sep 17 01:10:59 CDT 2003

:  Paul replied:
:  ------------
:  whip out that xml declaration (why is it there if this is an HTML page -
:  it is optional and I think not recommended even for xhtml?) and it works
:  fine

Thanks Paul,

I've just tried to remove the declaration after your suggestion, but it
still doesn't seem to work!!
The reason I included the xml declaration was because it was encouraged in
the xhtml recomendation [1].

Quote from the W3C's XHTML recommendation:
"An XML declaration is not required in all XML documents; however XHTML
document authors are strongly encouraged to use XML declarations in all
their documents. Such a declaration is required when the character encoding
of the document is other than the default UTF-8 or UTF-16 and no encoding
was determined by a higher-level protocol. Here is an example of an XHTML
document. In this example, the XML declaration is included."

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#strict>

I don't see why it would work in Opera and Mozilla, but not IE.

Thanks
Tim Burgan