[thelist] XHTML and CSS

Chris Marsh chris at ecleanuk.com
Thu Sep 18 10:27:36 CDT 2003

Tony

[..]
> all relatively positioned with the exception of the nav div
> which is fixed
> position over the content div (using z-index) and content in
> the content
> div is padded left to allow space for the nav div.
>
> like this here:
> http://www.torbytes.co.uk
>
> so that unstyled pages (e.g. NN4) come up in a sensible order) e.g. I
> wanted the nav to appear before the content.

Do you know if this will adversely affect search engine rankings? I was
under the impression that <h1>Meaningful stuff</h1><p>Meaningful
stuff</p> as near to the top of the page as possible would potentially
increase search engine rankings and placing this lower in the page would
potentially decrease rankings.

> the only problem I've had with the layout on torbytes is on
> short pages
> the footer div rides up the page, I used a single pixel gif
> to maintain a
> minimum height for content.
>
> Alternatively there are many, many layouts to choose from here:
>
> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts

Many thanks for the response.

Regards

Chris Marsh