[thelist] XHTML and CSS

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 11:38:12 CDT 2003

At 5:07 pm +0100 18/9/03, Tony Crockford wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:27:36 +0100, Chris Marsh <chris at ecleanuk.com> wrote:
>LOL!
>
>that explains the high position of "menu Torbay" and "enter Torbay"
>searches on google.
>
>Oh well, you win some, you lose some.  It was more important to
>allow PDA's and non visual browsers to quickly navigate the site,
>but point taken - maybe an <h1> in the document flow before the nav
>would help....

An aside; it is considered good accessibility practice to have the
content FIRST, because then users of screen readers do not have to
listen to all the navigation before every page. If nav must appear
before content in the source, use 'skip nav' links to allow them to
avoid this. There was a long thread on CSS-discuss about this
recently.
When I use a PDA I prefer the content first, especially on real
content (rather than 'home') pages - all that scrolling!

Geoff