Notepad, and this list WAS Re: [thelist] Removing Microsoft Word special characters

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Sep 18 21:13:00 CDT 2003

From: "Timothy Luoma" <luomat at operamail.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Removing Microsoft Word special characters

:
: >For find-n-replace?!?
: >
: >What's so terrible about Notepad's Find and Replace functionality?
: > Why's it so much easier in UltraEdit?
:
: I have to say that talking about Notepad borders on watching
: paint dry so this will be it for me.  But UE has tons more
: abilities for F/R including applying the change to all open
: documents.  And macros make it easier because you can
: do 6 (or however many) at once.

So, because UE has some extra abilities, then it somehow follows that:

"Notepad, as nearly everyone knows, is terrible."

What a crock.

I came to this list because it seemed that people here were a little more
grown up, and could discuss things a little more dispassionately, and a
little more rationally that on certain other web-design/dev lists that I'm
on. Frankly, it seems that this list is starting to slide towards those
depths that I tried to get away from. Either that, or people on this list
don't seem to be aware of the common meaning of words such as "terrible".

Cheers
Ken