[thelist] getting RSS feeds via PHP

Mark Lee leemark at isu.edu
Sat Sep 20 02:00:15 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to write some php to get, parse, and display RSS feeds.  Not
a monumental task, I thought.
It seems, however, that my web host has fopen(), fsockopen(), and
similar functions disabled.  I tried to be  clever and override this
setting with:

ini_set ( 'allow_url_fopen', '1') or die('oh dang!');

but of course that'd be too easy. Does anyone have any experience with
alternate solutions? Is there any way to access remote files without
fopen()? Is this a common function for hosting providers to disable?

Thanks,

Mark
mark at marksdigital.com
http://www.marksdigital.com