[thelist] a brain teaser

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 10:20:24 CDT 2003

At 15:10 23/09/2003, Tony Crockford wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:36:02 -0400 (EDT), <john at johnallsopp.co.uk> wrote:

Could someone glue these together for me please?
<snip>
Or is it all a load of rubbish, I think too much, I should go and do some
work.

I think you've missed one big basic fact - human curiosity.

Something so big that we can't see it all at once fills us with a desire
to try (to see it all)

<ramble>

The internet is like a bar of chocolate that is as big or as small as you
like, stays fresh indefinitely
you can eat as much or as little as you like day or night and not go back
to bed with signs of your snacking around your mouth....  ;)

using the web for data retrieval is like the choice between a big bar of
chocolate on a shelf just out of reach as compared to a far smaller bar by
the checkout, this is the crux of good design as you cannot see all the
bars or sometimes even the real size of them.......... you go for the most
obvious/easiest, even if the big bar is known to exist but is hidden away
with the washing powder ;)

When you screw up with your page design you are in the position of
presenting the consumer with too much information, you turn the browsing
surfer into the kid in the candy store with 56 ways to spend his 5c!!!!!!
He is more likely to buy if he walked into a part of the shop with
"Johnny's favorite candy" on a sign over the aisle.... but if he likes
Twinkies on Friday "Johnny's favorite Friday candy" gets him every
time..... :)

</ramble>

I.G.M.C.

John

I imagine the Internet fits that category.

Like God, Nature, Space, Infinity, Science etc.

When you tickle the brain's appetite with something huge and
incomprehensible it just gets stuck in to trying to decipher it.

As long as new stuff gets added (discovered) we keep coming back for more
(not like Chocolate at all really ;o)  )

hth

Tony