[thelist] a brain teaser

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Tue Sep 23 12:32:16 CDT 2003

> I've had these two things in my head for a few days and I can't glue them
> together into a single statement or theory. I guess what it's saying is
> that the Internet was something everyone wanted when it wasn't here. But
> now we've got it everywhere we're no longer interested.
>
> Is that backed up? Is site traffic declining? If so, we're working in a
> market no-one's interested in. I don't feel that to be true.

If you view the internet solely as a source of interesting information,
you're right.  What this line of reasoning seems to miss is the fact that
the Internet is not simply one thing.  I never sit down at my browser because
I feel like "Internetting" -- I go to the Internet with a specific purpose
in mind: to buy something, find something out, download something I want, etc.

> And what should be our reaction to it? I'm thinking that there's plenty of
> information and data out there, but good sites, they're rare. Sites that
> work and provide something you want, they're rare. Old economics can still
> work if you think only of quality sites.

As long as certain sites continue to fulfill my needs, I will never become
sick of the fact that there are umpteen zillion other sites out there that
offer me nothing of interest.