[thelist] MYSQL column type properties

Elly lists at echozone.com
Wed Sep 24 14:05:23 CDT 2003

For the purpose where records are always entered through an html form,
besides the primary key, is there a reason to specify NOT NULL if
required fields are specified in the form?

Also, why specify maximum characters if this will also be controlled by
the form?

In other words, if a form requires a field, and has a maxlength, is
there a reason to specify NOT NULL and maximum characters () when
creating the table?

In the mysql manual it states, "If neither NULL nor NOT NULL is
specified, the column is treated as though NULL had been specified."
I'm still not sure if this then means I should specify NOT NULL.

Elly