[thelist] firewall

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 02:01:51 CDT 2003

> a) Are you looking for a hardware, or a software device

Dunno yet. I've a gut feeling which .Jeff just confirmed that h/w would be
better

> b) What is your knowledge of TCP/IP?

I just completed an Internet Computing degree (successfully), so I should
know the theory, but I don't deal with it every day (well, obviously I do,
but y'know what I mean)

> Alternatively, you can buy yourself a simple ADSL router. All include
> NAT (which will stop most things). You just need a network card in your
> PC (assuming that you are currently using a USB ADSL modem, otherwise,
> if you're already using ethernet, then you just put the router between
> your PC and your existing ethernet ADSL modem).

You seem to be suggesting that it's less effective using the USB
connection. And yes, mine supports NAT. I'll orf to learn what that's all
about I guess.