[thelist] re: thinking of getting new mac

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Thu Sep 25 10:47:21 CDT 2003

Original Message:
> From: Chris Price <chris.price at speed-mail.co.uk>

> Virtual PC, bought by Microsoft this year, won't work on the new G5 because
> of the new chip architecture. There appear to be no plans to do anything
> about this. Macs networking is another issue.

I believe Microsoft has said that a G5 version will be out "next year".  They've also said that the next version of Office for the Mac [which comes out "next year" by the way] will include VirtualPC (along with the required license to run Windows XP on that machine).  Logically, that version of VPC should run on the G5.  (Of course, "logic" doesn't always apply when dealing with Microsoft).

I think I've decided that my next computer will be a Mac.  I'm a ColdFusion developer, so I think the only hitch I'd have is that I need to be able to use Access and SQL Server.  Hopefully, with a working version of Virtual PC, that would take care of that hitch.

(Well, I also need to make sure the games I'll want are available, but I digress)

Scott