[thelist] Steps towards permanent URL's

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Mon Sep 29 12:36:10 CDT 2003

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 12:01 PM, Keith Underdown wrote:

> I am try to move to permanent URLS but the Apache learning curve is
> pretty big and many of the articles written don't mean much to me.

<snip>

> So that's one problem, what's different about the way my ISP has
> Apache set up by default?

It all comes down to the settings for your virtual hosts. Your ISP may
be able to change some of these settings, or it may be time to look for
a new host...

IMHO, turing to "permanent URLs" without a content management system of
some kind is going to be difficult, to say the least.

If you are interested mainly in the information architecture side of
things, I would suggest checking out Drupal (http://www.drupal.org). It
is an open-source project that runs on PHP and MySQL, and includes
things like aliasing for any article/piece of content, as well as
"friendly" permanent URLs.

Did I mention the extensive taxonomy feature? Any content can be
configured to be tagged with zero or more taxonomy items, which can be
arranged in hierarchies, allow related items, multiple selections, etc.
etc. etc.

HTH,

--
Boris Mann