[thelist] Simple CGI Languages

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Mon Sep 29 21:16:58 CDT 2003

This is fun! Let's see if we can list all the web application
languages...I think we're almost there...

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 03:28 PM, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

> Which language (for writing CGI scripts) is the easiest to learn?

PHP of course! http://www.php.net

This might prove helpful in getting Apache and PHP installed under
Windows:
	http://www.shahidhussain.com/weblog/000019.html

And here's your first PHP program (copy and paste into a text file,
upload or drop into directory on webserver):

<?php
// this tag starts any PHP code
// the two slashes are  for single-line comments
/* Or you can do multi-line
like this */

// your browser will display everything in quotation marks
print "Hello World!";

// this tag ends PHP code
?>

BTW -- CGI stands for "common gateway interface". Before things like
Apache modules and other such fancy stuff, scripts could pretty much
only interact with a web server through these types of interfaces.
Today, it might be more appropriate to talk about "web application
languages" or "web scripting languages".

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Senior Consultant

"Turning technology decisions into business decisions"