[thelist] Simple CGI Languages

liorean liorean at f2o.org
Tue Sep 30 07:59:00 CDT 2003

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
> Hello Experts,
> I do web developing just for fun, as it is my hobby. Therefore, I am still in my
> learning process. In my so far experiences of creating sites, I have never tried
> to experiment with CGI scripts. There are many languages in which CGI scripts
> are written, as I have come to know from TheList.
>
> My Question:
>
> Which language (for writing CGI scripts) is the easiest to learn? For the time
> being I want to write some CGI for a feedback form and counting downloads of
> some certain EXE files.
> There are many languages and I just can't figure out where to start. So far, I
> have some experience of JavaScript and Visual Basic 6 among programming
> languages.

Well, personally I think Scheme is really easy to grasp when you get
into it, but the LISP syntax may be confusing to many. The language is
centered around a few concepts that are foreign to most imperative or
procedural programmers, though, so many from C/C++ or Java backgrounds
seems to thing it really strange. For other languages, Ruby is not
overly taxing to learn, and sports a really powerful object orientation.
(More so than python, which seems to be the dream language of half the
web developers I talk with today. Can't see why myself).

--
liorean <mailto:liorean at user.bip.net>

ViewStyles, ViewScripts, ToggleStyles and GraphicsInfo bookmarklets and
Theme Switcher, Cookies Handler scripts:
<http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>