[thelist] Site check for http://www.tcf.ca/test

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Thu Oct 2 12:59:41 CDT 2003

Message from Tara Cleveland (10/2/2003 12:42 PM)
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I'm looking for a quick site check for a client's site:
>http://www.tcf.ca/test

Very clean, attractive layout. Good job Tara.

Thoughts/comments

- The button effect on the nav bar looks great, but I'd actually try it
without the border-top. I think the alteration of the left and right
borders gets the job done. The top actually spoils it, imo.

- You've got the active item in the nav bar blue. Why not also make it
non-clickable? Oh nevermind, I see why not, so you can still return to the
top level of that section when you go down an additional level. Still,
might be nice, on the first page of the section.

- http://www.tcf.ca/test/just_donors/public_list.asp?id=1 - All the links
down the left are wrong. They call publiclist.asp where it should be
public_list.asp

- On the first page, the grey 'Contact Us' button is properly sized, same
as the other two next to it. On all other pages it stretches to almost
twice that width.

- Why are your top level headers - the blue text at the top of each page -
images instead of regular text? The font does not appear to be anything
terribly different from the rest of the body. Also shouldn't it at least be
within <h1> tags?

- I don't see the value of a visible 'skip navigation' link considering the
links are adjacent to the body content, rather than above it. That, and
clicking the link actually takes me down the page to a point where the
heading of the page is out of view.

- Clicking on any of the lefthand items in the 'Just for Donors' section
shows me a list. I have no idea what list I'm looking at though, cause the
item isn't differentiated from the other choices on the list in any way,
and the breadcrumb at the top also isn't altered. Nor is there a relevant
header for the page. (I notice that in other sections, the selected
lefthand item is identified by a blue background, appropriate adjustment to
breadcrumb, and updated header.)

- In the Arts and Culture list, there's a bad character in there. An
apostrophe in the word "Kid's" (second to last item) that shows up as a box
in my browser.

- I'm sure you're aware the Vital Signs section is currently incomplete. I
also question the choice of naming here, as I had no idea what the section
would entail by looking at its name. All other sections were readily
understandable.

- The entire button "depresses" on hover, but only the words themselves are
clickable. I didn't like that. I also second Stephen's query on why use
javascript for your navigation effects. I am sure it could be achieved
using CSS quite easily.

Good luck with the launch!

regards.
-marc

--
Carnival 2003 in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/