[thelist] formats for video

J. Anthony Peth jpeth at mac.com
Thu Oct 2 22:36:56 CDT 2003

If I were going to do a site tomorrow, I'd use QuickTime , as I like it the
best on my Mac and my dell.

--QuickTime offers the best cross-platform video delivery and makes it
easiest to publish your movies on websites.

--Real offers the best streaming technology, and is the most full featured
player...

--Windows media is not the best quality, but it is probably on more machines
than any other player.

You may consider offering more than one option to be sure all
plug-ins/platforms are covered, i.e. QuickTime and real. You can also offer
different size movies to accommodate for users who use varying bandwidth
connections.

Compressing video into several formats simultaneously is possible with
Discreet's media cleaner--they have a demo. http://www.discreet.com/

Using flash is not necessary and is an extra step, but does allow an easy to
embed a movie into the page in a fairly seamless way.

Also -- 2 good resources:
http://synapsedesign.com/AdobeStr.pdf
http://synapsedesign.com/dvprimer.pdf

Hope that helps,