[thelist] Video compression help?

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:06:21 CDT 2003

This is somewhat off-topic for this list, since it doesn't really have much to
do with web development, but you guys have always given me good advice in the
past, so I have to try...

I know absolutely nothing about video compression. All I know is that I have a
setup here that grabs a series of frames from a black & white lab camera and
saves them to an uncompressed .avi file. I understand that video codecs exist
for the express purpose of making these uncompressed AVIs smaller. I've been
looking around some, but I still have no idea how I go about using these things
to compress my video. Does anyone have any advice for me? Preferably an open
source codec and compression tool?

Thanks in advance

--
Joel Konkle-Parker