[thelist] Knoppix "Linux on CD:" Write to hard drive safely?

Kristof Neirynck k.neirynck at belgacom.net
Sat Oct 4 13:06:08 CDT 2003

Jorah Lavin wrote:

> I just got my Knoppix disk in the mail today. It boots fine on my Dell,
> which normally runs WinME.
>
> http://www.knoppix.net/
>
> I've no idea if I can save files to the hard drive safely. I've read as
> much of the introductory material as I can find online,  but can't find
> anything that clearly states that it is okay or a really bad idea to
> actually use the hard drive. There is one mention of saving files to
> floppies, so I'm suspecting that saving to disk is not good.
>
> Can anyone of you enlighten me?

Search google for "knoppix faq read-write"
<http://www.google.com/search?q=knoppix+faq+read-write>
First link comming up is:
<http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading>
That faq contains this:

Q: I see the partitions from my hard disk on the desktop and can access
their contents when I click on them, but if I try to write to them I
always get the error message "access denied". How can I write to my
existing partitions?
A: The general philosophy of KNOPPIX is to allow as little write access
as possible. For this reason, existing partitions are either not mounted
or only mounted "read only". If you click with your right mouse button
on an icon, the "read-only" attribute under item "device" can be
un-checked. After this, the partition can be mounted "read-write" (for
already mounted partitions, first click on "unmount"!). CAUTION: writing
to NTFS partitions can lead to data loss, since Linux does not really
support this file system! However, DOS and FAT32 file systems are safe
for write access. Tip: In the shell the command "mount -o remount,rw
/mnt/" can allow already-mounted file systems to be "made writeable".

Kristof