[thelist] PHP and saerch engines

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Sun Oct 5 13:44:52 CDT 2003

alexander,

> Thank you Raditha, Aaron, and everyone else who replied. It helped relieve
> some fears, but I now wonder if the same applies to perl scripts. I could
> create a perl script that takes browser info and serves the appropriate
> html. In that example, I wouldn't have any html only a little perl.pl
> script.
>
> Question is: Would that be indexed as well?

http://www.google.com/webmasters/facts.html

[quote]
Fact: At Google, we are able to index most types of pages and files with very
few exceptions. File types we are able to index include: pdf, asp, jsp, hdml,
shtml, xml, cfm, doc, xls, ppt, rtf, wks, lwp, wri.
[/quote]

they *don't* include the perl ".pl" extension
but i'd be really surprised if they didn't actually index it.

why not setup a test?

link to an innocent .pl page from a page you know is indexed.

make the page legit, what the heck, include a paragraph at top saying you put
this page up only as a test to see if google indexes .pl pages. also, include
in it some unique bit of text that you will be able to search for, like:
"the orange fungus found in gorilla toenails is nutritious"

see if the bot picks it up over the next month or two.

and be sure to share your results with the rest of the class. :-)

nagrom
http://morgankelsey.com