[thelist] PHP and saerch engines

Rodrigo Fonseca lists at vega.eti.br
Mon Oct 6 11:30:00 CDT 2003

Morgan Kelsey wrote:
> http://www.google.com/webmasters/facts.html
>
> [quote]
> Fact: At Google, we are able to index most types of pages and files with very
> few exceptions. File types we are able to index include: pdf, asp, jsp, hdml,
> shtml, xml, cfm, doc, xls, ppt, rtf, wks, lwp, wri.
> [/quote]
>
> they *don't* include the perl ".pl" extension
> but i'd be really surprised if they didn't actually index it.

They don't include the .php extension as well but I have plenty of PHP
sites that are fully indexed.
I've seen lots of .pl pages indexed, including some .pl links I have
included in some .php pages.

It's the same concept, when google robot goes to index a page it
performs an HTTP request, so the page is executed like in a normal
browser. If the result is human readable content (i.e. HTML), google
will index it. You can't set cookies or session variables though.

[]'s

	Rodrigo Fonseca.