[thelist] formats for video

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net
Mon Oct 6 12:55:19 CDT 2003

[snipped and reformatted into something resembling a standard quoting
format]

On Monday 2003 October 06 11:38, Javier Muniz wrote:
  [I originally wrote:]
> > On Thursday 2003 October 02 20:25, Timothy Martens wrote:
> > > Hi Evolters,
> > >
> > > I have a client interested in offering a 90 second video preview
> > > of their service. I'm little rusty on formats (real, mpeg, wmv,
> > > mov, flash, etc.) and am looking for feedback about best delivery
> > > methods for a predominantly version 5+ Browser / PC & Mac user
> > > base.
> >
> > MPEG is the most standard (I assume some of those PCs and Macs will
> > be running Linux, too). Forget the Windows Media formats; Microsoft
> > introduces things like this to further their own objectives, often
> > at the expense of the users. Same for RealVideo or whatever it's
> > called now.
> >
> > A 90 second video in MPEG1 should not run much over 2 megabytes. You
> > might be able to get it down to 1.5 megabytes, but the quality might
> > degrade a bit.
>
> For a simple video this is true.  However, Windows Media and Real
> (not quicktime to my knowledge) support features that enable rich
> media applications though embedding in-band metadata alongside video
> data.

I don't think he said anything about a huge fancy movie that takes an
hour to download on a 28.8 modem. I would think a simple 90 second
movie clip doesn't need all this "rich media" and "in-band metadata"
baloney you're talking about.

> In any case, linux machines can play windows media and real formats
> as well,

In the former case, I have serious doubts about the squeaky clean
legality of using codecs licensed for use under Windows. It is now
typical Microsoft practice to only license their software for use under
their version of Windows.

> Microsoft is planning the release of the Windows Media 9 format for
> public consumption (by standards bodies etc),

Last I checked the same codecs that were formerly used in AVI files were
broken on purpose for use in WMV such that attempts to read WMV files
with other software besides Microsoft's own ran afoul of some patent
they hold. What you describe is completely at odds with this as well as
their attempt to add digital restrictions management (DRM) components
at the lowest levels they can get access to.

--
Shawn K. Quinn