[thelist] Web Development -- Presentation vs. Content

Beau Hartshorne beau at hartshorne.ca
Thu Oct 9 10:09:45 CDT 2003

> The way I look at it is that you use XHTML 1.1 (1.0 strict +
> a couple of things) and since it is in fact XML, you refactor
> it with xsl. Most of the time, though, you won't have to.

I'm considering XML + XSLT + PHP in terms of a CMS, not a customer
account tracking system. I like your last point though. It seems silly
to teach someone another XML language (like Docbook) if XHTML can do the
trick already.

Can't we use the XSLT processor to validate the XHTML that may be stored
in a database text field? Can we use it to get rid of all the $document
= ereg_replace('\[b\](.*)\[/b\]','<b>\\1</b>',$document) code? What
happens to HTML entities? Or can we forget about them if we use UTF-8?

These are questions that I plan on answering myself soon, but it'd be
great to hear from someone who's already fought this battle.

Beau