[thelist] why doth i hate css? let me count the ways.

Chuck Gartland chuck at project27.com
Fri Oct 10 14:55:14 CDT 2003

thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org wrote:
> Jeff Howden <mailto:jeff at jeffhowden.com>
>     on Thursday, October 09, 2003 5:25 PM said:
>
>> good, cause i think you hate css cause you don't understand how it
>> works, not because it doesn't work.
>
> If by "understand" you mean I don't spend day and night screwing
> around with it to learn all of it's lame idiosyncrasies then yes,
> you'd be right. css shouldn't be as complicated as it is. It doesn't
> even NEED to be this complicated.
>
> Chris.

You would not have to spend all day and night screwing around with css to
learn to use it properly. You should however forget the poor habits you
learned from poorly implemented html. Much of what you complained about were
behaviours give html by microsoft and netscape. Those were what make no
sense... if you take the bother to study page layout, typography, design,
etc. You do not have to be a graphic designer nor artist to design web
sites. It certainly helps though if you took some small effort to learn
fundamentals. Page layouts were being designed for centuries before PCs came
around. That the padding is outside of a container and a margin is inside,
or that containers are floated while their contents are aligned, should not
have to be redefined because the last half of the nineties taught that
anyone can design a web page competence or education be damned. Just a
continuation of the eighties lesson that anyone can design for print, all
they need is a desktop computer.

Chuck