[thelist] why doth i hate css? let me count the ways.

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net
Sat Oct 11 05:10:41 CDT 2003

On Friday 2003 October 10 15:35, Mike Migurski wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >It would be simple enough if I could specify, somehow, that both the
> >right-hand panel and the left-hand panel are the same height as
> > their container, which should be the body.
> >
> >With tables this design is a no-brainer.... one table, 100% height,
> > spacer column between the navigation and content cells, etc.  Too
> > easy.  But with css... I don't know if it's possible.
> >
> >Thoughts?
>
> Just use a table.

Because that's not what tables are for. Tables are for tabular data (the
"Table 1" you would see in a textbook) not layout boxes.

> I know that's an unpopular answer,

It's unpopular because that's the kind of garbage that passed for
acceptable during the dot-com click-here
look-at-this-whizbang-thing-called-the-Internet era of 1997. It *was* a
popular answer then and we are just now starting to recover from its
ill effects. Frankly, it made only slightly more sense than
actually do this despite an explicit warning in the HTML 4.0 standard
saying not to!

> but really - why not use a tool that works?

In the sense of the Web as a whole, tables *don't* work. Using tables as
layout boxes misleads user-agents by telling them there's tabular data
that really isn't there.

> CSS is a tremendously elegant response to the flexible presentation
> context that is the interweb,

Ugh. Words like "interweb" really don't help your credibility. Learn the
terminology.

--
Shawn K. Quinn