[thelist] why doth i hate css? let me count the ways.

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Sat Oct 11 17:13:01 CDT 2003

> Easy.  They can do it with tables, why can't we do it with DIVS?

tables stop when the last contained row stops

so if you want something to "extend all the way down" it has to
be part of the *containing* div

> What?
> What what?

heh

> http://www.delnortehistory.org/designs/1/index.html
>
> (look at it in IE 6.0 for the intended visual effect,
> view in Moz to see the problem)

in IE the background image sort of fades out, and then there's a dark green

in moz the background image cuts off abruptly and there's no background
green

obviously the background image and dark green colour are in the wrong div

see remarks above about extending all the way down

> A few people on this list are saying that they feel no limitations
> with CSS and tableless designs.  I envy them as I hope to one day
> feel the same.

my confidence does not go that far, but it's there, and it arises from
controlling my own designs, so that i know what will work with css and what
i should not attempt -- i would not brashly say that css can do any design
that i am handed, because obviously, there are layout designs that you would
have to chew glass to achieve with css

but in your case i would look at putting the background image into the
containing div, then "overlaying" it with the background in the main (right)
column

rudy