[thelist] unix system for development environment

Roger Harness magic32 at jps.net
Sun Oct 12 02:49:55 CDT 2003

Evolters,

I'd really like to set up some form of a UNIX server, mainly just for
developing/testing PHP/MySQL, PERL, and system administration and Apache
stuff. Just sorta practice. And I'd like the power trip that would hopefully
come along with it.

Trouble is, I don't seem bright enough to set up *nix on my win98 system, so
i'd like to set it up on another computer, and hopefully even be able to
telnet/putty into it, just like i'd do in real life.

And recently, I've seen that Wal-mart is selling the cheap-o systems with
'Lindows' pre-installed for like around $200! Assuming this is a version of
Linux, do you think it might be possible to convert one into my practice
center?

If i was rich, i'd even pay someone to just set everything up for me, but
right now that's not really an option.

Anyways, I know it's kind of a silly question, but again, I'd really like to
be able to do this.

as always, tia,

-Roger Harness