[thelist] Looking for hosting recommendation - Ontario, Canada

Patsy Price beyondwords at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 15 16:37:07 CDT 2003

Chris, here are a couple of Ontario hosting companies to check out.
They started out collaborating  but are now competitors (friendly,
I'm told).

SiteAction: http://www.siteaction.com
I assume it's still in Toronto. Prices quoted in CAD$ or US$.
SiteAction started out  just hosting (1999?) and used to send
everybody to DomainWizardry for domain name registration, but now
SiteAction also registers domain names. I've had one website hosted
there from the time SiteAction was very small and highly recommended.
The company has grown, offers more services, and has better backup
now. The SiteAction website is finally beginning to catch up with the
rest of the company, but it's not quite there yet. According to the
website SiteAction is now a subsidiary of Radonic/Rogers
Communications. I hope SiteAction doesn't eventually get swallowed up
and lose its own identity. I don't remember any downtime in the few
years we've been there, but there may have been some
middle-of-the-night maintenance times I've forgotten about. We still
get fast, personal service when required--from handholding to
strategic to high-tech. The control panel, site stats, etc. are all
fine for my purposes and those of my client. I'll use SiteAction
again, especially for basic websites. Nothing on the SiteAction
website about hosting mail only, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

DomainWizardry: http://www.domainwizardry.com
Based in Waterdown, Ontario, wherever that is! Prices on website all US$.
Apparently started out just registering domain names and sending
clients to SiteAction for hosting, but then got into hosting in a big
way. I've registered a lot of domain names through DomainWizardry
(nice control panel for registrations and renewals) but haven't yet
used them for hosting. I will, though. Domain Wizardry comes across
as very professional, well backed up, etc. Their website has a form
for requesting custom quotes. Why don't you ask for a quote for email
only and see what they say?

Patsy