[thelist] IE/mac and floats problem

s t e f notabene at f2o.org
Wed Oct 15 16:51:12 CDT 2003

Hi all,

(Please consider that in the project at hand I was not consulted on the
design at all and I only produced what was asked.)

I have a three-column layout based on tables (yeah, right), and in the
center cell I have a three-column layout, typically paper. All this of
course has to have a fixed width.

Here's what we should obtain for the middle column:

----------------------------------
|                    |           |
|        pic         | right col |
|                    |           |
|--------------------|           |
|         |          |           |
|  left   |   left   |           |
|  col 1  |   col 2  |           |
|         |          |           |
----------------------------------
other content underneath

I achieved the internal 3-col by using a first float:left on the 2-col
image and left cols, and then floated the two left cols inside their
container, with a clear:left on left col 1.

Then I floated the right col on the right and her's the result:
<http://geranium.dyndns.org/cyclades/2/>

Here's what's supposed to be rendered and *does* render in Windows with
Firebird, Mozilla, IE5.5 and IE6, and even Netscape 6.2:
<http://geranium.dyndns.org/cyclades/firebird_win.png>

But IE5/Mac does not give the same result at all, it pushes the right
col to the far right of the window:
<http://geranium.dyndns.org/cyclades/ie_mac.jpg>

So I thought it had to do with my right float. So I tried left-floating
the right col, and here's the new result:
<http://geranium.dyndns.org/cyclades/3/>

But IE/Mac still does render the right col to the far side. I"ve looked
into several resources listing IE5/Mac float bugs but they didn't help
(most of them are listed at "CSS Bugs in IE5 for Mac",
<http://macedition.com/cb/ie5macbugs/>).

I suspect it would have somethng to do with the box model and something
I'd have overlooked, so a fresh input would be welcome. Anybody has an
idea as to how I could force IE/mac to display the expected result?

--
s t e f
http://www.nota-bene.org/