[thelist] [OT - Kinda] Internet Access REPLY

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 13:29:18 CDT 2003

At 18:16 16/10/2003, Bob Haroche wrote:
> > difficulties with getting Internet Access from my home
>
>Quirky suggestion, I know, but can you network with your neighbor
>using a long Cat5/6 cable? You could offer to share the cost.

down a trench?

hope there is not a highway involved  sharing next doors DSL via a wireless
network though a bit more pregnable (is that a word?) so long as you don't
breach the ISPs terms!

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/03/21/home_wifi.html

The Linksys BEFW11S4 is a  802.11b wireless access point with a four-port
switch. 802.11b devices can transmit data at a maximum data rate of 11Mbps,
with an effective range of about 150 feet.

roughtly 125-150 UKP gets you a wireless ADSL network setup, probably 50%
of that in the US

11Mb should be ok if your DSL is 512K :)

Just needs the security setting up OK unless you are happy to be
warchalked!! also "next door" then have a cable free solution for other
users in their household... tell them that first ;)

FB