[thelist] Developing for Multiple Platforms

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Thu Oct 16 14:24:17 CDT 2003

Well, people often talk about the LAMP platform (Linux, Apache, MySQL,
Perl/PHP/Python) and while the word 'Linux' is in there, Mac OS X and
even Windows (as well as the BSD's an *nix's) often work as well.

You mention being able to just 'plug you app in' but what you plug it
into might be a deciding factor. Will it be sold to organizations that
typically have Windows/IIS, or folks who run Apache and are comfortable
with open-source software.

I've found that PHP is pretty popular, though I personally would choose
Perl because I know it much better, and there's a zillion good CPAN
modules to do what I need... Python is nice, but probably not as popular
as PHP. (Not that popularity and quality are proportionate.)

What about the database? MySQL? Postgres? MSSQL? The nice thing about
perl is the DBI interface abstracts out much of the db specific stuff.
(Is PHP at that level yet? I don't know.)

I've worked with ColdFusion and PHP a bit, and if I had to choose, I'd
pick PHP in a second.

Pete