[thelist] IE 6 and Auto Window Focus....

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Oct 16 18:42:41 CDT 2003

Howdy...

I've seen this problem numerous times and now it's become a real pain the
arse. IE 6 (maybe some SP version of 5.5 also) changes window focus when I
don't want it to. Here's the scenario:

Main Window with snazy roll-overs and useful content. One of the links in
the main window pops a new browser which is sized to a specific height and
width. This popup window lays over part of the main window. When I move the
mouse to click or manage data in the popup and it crosses an area of the
main window with a rollover, IE removes focus of the popup window and
activates the rollover.

I've also seen IE 6 force a newly popped window to the back if the main
window is refreshed - saying "you get back there I need to show my new
content." Other times I've seen an IE window pop to the front while
rendering after I've pushed it to the back in order to read the page I'm on.

e.g. reading a page, right mouse click a link to open in a new window (gwad
I wish IE has tabs like Opera or Mozilla!) and I minimize the new window to
keep it out of the way while I continue reading. The of it's own volition,
the back grounded windows comes forward still rendering. I minimize it and
it returns again like Nosferatu.

Has anyone been able to stop this bad behaviour??? I feel like I'm back on
XWindows and the olde mouse determines active window behaviour.
--
Anthony Baratta
President