[thelist] SQL Server 2k Pricing

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Oct 16 20:29:47 CDT 2003

At 05:41 PM 10/16/2003, Joshua Olson wrote:

>I'm looking around and pricing SQL Server 2k Standard and I'm not clear what
>the real difference (other than price) is between 5CAL, 10CAL, 1-Processor,
>etc.  Can anybody shed any light on the difference and what that difference
>equates to (in terms of performance) for real world deployment for use with
>Web Servers.

I always recommend buying the CPU based license. I always buy the 2 CPU
license since those are the servers we have. I would assume that buying the
single CPU license (and installing that way ;-) would limit the "speed" of
your SQL usage under high loads. But I've never had the time to test that
theory.

Don't get wrapped up into CALs. It's a pain the arse and a waste of your time.

--
Anthony Baratta
President