[thelist] Friday hlp! A reasonable scaled progression for H1 h2 h3 h4

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 04:14:08 CDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:02:14 +0100, John C Bullas <jcbullas at nildram.co.uk>
wrote:

> Question 2: If I had to choose one system, what would be best?
>
> #1 Absolute font size, large x large, xxlarge
> #2 Percentaging (%)
> or #3 Relative units, 0.5em, 0.75em     t
>
> I need to revise the CSS on 3 sites :)

My personal preference is to use ems for font-size on individual elements
and set body font-size to suit.

that way you can tweak one parameter and all the settings resize in
proportion.

see:

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=UsingEms

don't forget that CSS multiplies(?) sizes when you put block elements
inside other block elements

so body font-size 100%

div content font size .9em

p font size .8 em

will give you 90% in the div and 80% of 90% in the p inside the div

(poorly explained, hopefully you'll get the drift?)

hth

Tony

--
http://www.xebit.net/

Sent with M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=627923