[thelist] hosting (n00b)

Simon Wheatley simon at simonwheatley.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 09:43:03 CDT 2003

Gavin Lilley wrote:

>I have a new job and Im finding it difficult to get to grips with the
>server; I have never seen a webserver traffic graph by MRTG; I am used to
>Webalizer. Can anyone make comments on this...

I panicked recently on seeing the bandwidth calcs from Webalizer and
mailed my host. They told me that server log analysis is a notoriously
inaccurate way of measuring bandwidth consumed. They suggested I look at
a particular figure in my control panel, which is generated by the
Apache module mod_throttle.

HTH

Simon