[thelist] IE 6 and Auto Window Focus.... TWEAK UI?

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Oct 17 11:02:52 CDT 2003

At 11:09 PM 10/16/2003, John C Bullas wrote:

>Is this an issue at your end or the customers end, sorry if I am confused
>here, "grabbing focus" locally can (probably) be stifled with an install
>of Tweak UI so long as it is compatible......

It's definitely a browser issue. The problem is that the "opener" windows
jumps to the front when a mouse crosses one of it's rollovers, covering the
popup window. Or when you open a link in a new browser, the new browser
keeps trying to come to the front even when minimized while it's still
rendering.

For example: go to http://espn.go.com/ with IE 6. Right mouse click on the
MBL link in the left hand navigation and select "Open in new window". Then
click on the original window immediately forcing the new window to move
behind the original window. The "new" windows will force itself into focus
even though you pushed it the back. There is no focus.self() anywhere I can
find in the code. And this happens on other sites as well.

If you bring the original window to the front then click on another
application after opening a link in a new window, like your email, the
"new" window does not force itself to the front. It's most deffinately an
IE thing.

Short of turning off scripting, there does not appear to be a setting or
reg hack to get IE to behave. ;-( Plus, any "forced" behaviour change is
out of line with the IE default install and instructing people to making
any changes to their browser is a huge pain. ("friendly error messages"
anyone? ;-P)

---
Anthony Baratta
President