[thelist] Design vs. development

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 14:36:44 CDT 2003

><snip>

>It also seems that so few websites successfully combine principles of good
>design with CSS and JavaScript, let alone advanced programming.

<snips>

I think a lot of sites are there purely as a means of making information
available
to a "group", like the I.M.E. site I help run, we are not professional web
people
and the site shows this.. all we are trying to do is share our knowledge
not earn a living from it...

all we want is to present the information as best as we can do ( as
professionals in OTHER fields).....

we are purely in the business of information presentation and delivery...
we don't really "make" anything only represent it... some are happy with a
polaroid of Niagara Falls other want UMAX video and 6 speaker stereo.......

  When you look at professional web development as a "business" there is no
significant difference
between this and say building work or auto body repair.....

...There are people that take pride in the work and deliver $11 of solution
for every $10 charged
.. there are those that do the bare minimum, and there are those that do
what looks like a good
job but after a few people have examined their workmanship the "owner" soon
knows it "looked good"
but wasn't all it was cracked up to be....

There is nothing particularly different between trades when you get down to
it :)