[thelist] Design vs. development

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 14:34:51 CDT 2003

--- "J. Anthony Peth" <jpeth at mac.com> wrote:

Hi Tony,

I have 10 years experience as both a designer and a developer, so
I'll chime in my .02.

> "Designers" on this list very often struggle with scripting and
> programming.

If the person is a true visual designer with no computer
science/programming experience, this should come as no surprise.
However, there are designers who can program. Do remember that
everybody carries a varied skillset on both sides of the coin, or
even on just one side.

> Similarly, the "developers" on this list,often the ones who are
> most outspoken "web experts," seem to be clueless in the
> principles of good design.

That might be true with some people, and it depends on what
principles you are talking about. Furthermore just because a
developer doesn't *exhibit* good design sense on say a personal blog,
doesn't mean he doesn't understand it - so tread lightly there. It is
true though, that some developers know little or nothing about design
principles.

> It seems like there is a gap between designers and developers that
> leads to poor communication on this list, which seems to reflect
> the field.

Hmm...overgeneralization. Number one, you are talking about two
completely different fields. A visual designer ('web designer' or
whatever you want to call them) often gets hired for that role. He
isn't hired to write JavaScript, Java, Perl or server side scripting
and database scripts. The same goes for developers, they aren't hired
to design front end gui's.

In that sense, sure there is a gap, but there is a "gap" between ANY
two roles you might pick.

Now, if there is poor communication, to me that is an trait of the
*individual* more than the role he plays.

However, I don't really see the gap on this list you are referring
to. Maybe you can give some specifics. This is primarily a
'developer' centric list, not a design list. So as a designer, I can
see you feeling a bit like a fish on the beach. Having said that,
there are plenty of developers on this list who can design (or some
blend of the two) - and do so professionally. One would be me.

> It also seems that so few websites successfully combine principles
> of good design with CSS and JavaScript, let alone advanced
> programming.

How many websites have you looked at Tony? I could easily list you 10
sites that do so. Tell you what, here are five:

www.wired.com
http://www.k10k.net/
www.simplebits.com
www.stopdesign.com
http://www.antipixel.com/blog/

> Are most people in the field aware of this? If so, why do they
> ignore the problem? For those who are aware of this problem, where
> do we turn?

The "problem" you seem to be concerned about is one of communication.
But this is universal, not specific to web design or development.
I've worked a wide range of jobs, from small 5 person shops to full
blown 60,000 head corporate giant firms. Good people will communicate
well, and that is part of *your* job too. Not so good people won't
communicate so well.

There is no "ignored" problem. A good firm has a person that bridges
what gaps there are between design and development, and that is done
in many ways depending on the company.

Myself for example, my title is "interaction designer." I build UIs,
wireframes, do lots of other stuff. I might do the visual design, and
I might do some development. I most definitely am a bridge between
visual design and development on SOME projects - but not all. Because
I understand both ends, which is part of my job. There are plenty of
people like me out there, and on this list for sure. But not every
company has someone like that, so it helps if each side has some
understanding of the other, sure.

I can tell you that if you can make yourself into that sort of role
where you can fully function as one role while having a
*professional* and solid grasp of the other - you will be far more
employable and you will make more money, its a simple fact.

> My instructors at school say that the role of the freelancer is
> dieing, and that working in a group in teams is the only way to go.

Your instructor couldn't be more wrong. I just completed two *full*
years of freelancing/contracting work before taking a full time job
last week. Sometimes I worked with teams, sometimes not. There is
plenty of work out there for freelancers. Having said that - it is
VERY difficult to break in as a beginner - frankly, near impossible.
To successfully freelance you need *experience* to sell - and some
kind of legitimate portfolio (i.e., not just a personal site.)

> is there a good way for a freelance designer to find a freelance
> developer to collaborate on projects and vice versa? How does it
> work?

You could do that and sell yourself as a small consultant group, but
that's hard to do (and again - experience). You're a visual designer,
sell yourself like one. If you know good developers you can trust and
can call on if needed, that's fine. But rarely if ever will you be in
a position as a freelancer to decide who you are working with.
Especially since you are new. You will get hired and told what to do,
simple as that.

My best advice is this: learn to do what you do *extremely* well.
Build up a solid portfolio. When you have time, learn what you can on
the development side. You don't need to be able to write JS for
example, but you should understand where and why it is used to some
extent. You should have some kind of idea of when it should be used
and when it shouldn't. AND - if you CAN learn to write a bit of it,
it will help you have some practical understanding, and that's even
better.

If you can learn about server side technologies - again the basics -
as well, that would be helpful. You should at least know how a
dynamic website functions, how forms work, and what a database can
do.

And to me it is *imperative* that if you are going to be a designer
that you KNOW HTML. Don't be one of these designers that sticks their
nose up at it. You want to talk about a gap - those types of
designers find themselves on the outside looking in the first time
they design something that cannot be built - especially in this
economy. Add CSS to that mix as well.

To work successfully in these fields means you have to know a lot,
and you have to know it well. Learn as much as you can, do the best
work as you can, and make as many contacts as you can.

HTH, good luck!

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: Premium Content Author / JavaScript / Every Friday!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ :: Eternal Life

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward