[thelist] Design vs. development

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sat Oct 18 14:46:33 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Anthony Peth" <jpeth at mac.com>

> "Designers" on this list very often struggle with scripting and
programming.

Which has always made me wonder why they keep trying... there is room for
designers who just design, yes? I've done fine for years without any
scripting skills...

> My instructors at school say that the role of the freelancer is dieing,
and
> that working in a group in teams is the only way to go.

And then...

>  Is
> there a good way for a freelance designer to find a freelance developer to
> collaborate on projects and vice versa? How does it work?

Ummm... isn't "collaborate on projects" a good way of saying the same thing
as "working in a group in teams?"

Why does working on a team signal that you are no longer a freelance worker?
Aren't the two concepts distinct? I've worked as a full-time employee on a
"team of one," basically by myself, and I have a skilled
programmer-co-worker who worked on a large team of designers, project
managers, other programmers, customer service people, and so on, and he was
an independent contractor until quite recently, working some days from home,
some days in a cube, and some days on his other projects.

So... I guess I need more clarification on what you are actually asking.

-Jorah