[thelist] Design vs. development

J. Anthony Peth jpeth at mac.com
Sat Oct 18 15:37:17 CDT 2003

>> My instructors at school say that the role of the freelancer is dieing,
>> and
>> that working in a group in teams is the only way to go.
>
> And then...
>
>>  Is
>> there a good way for a freelance designer to find a freelance developer to
>> collaborate on projects and vice versa? How does it work?
>
> Ummm... isn't "collaborate on projects" a good way of saying the same thing
> as "working in a group in teams?"
>
> Why does working on a team signal that you are no longer a freelance worker?
> Aren't the two concepts distinct? I've worked as a full-time employee on a
> "team of one," basically by myself, and I have a skilled
> programmer-co-worker who worked on a large team of designers, project
> managers, other programmers, customer service people, and so on, and he was
> an independent contractor until quite recently, working some days from home,
> some days in a cube, and some days on his other projects.
>
> So... I guess I need more clarification on what you are actually asking.
>
> -Jorah

Hi. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Thanks for the response. Sorry if this is a WOB, but here is where I am.

I love to work. Unfortunately, I broke my neck in a mountain bike race and
can't work for someone else at a regular job--too many quadriplegic
complications. So, I quit my science research and am staying home, learning
graphic design, html, and various software programs. I have taken a bunch of
classes too. I came to this list on the advice of a web publishing
instructor (mentioned above) who has authored articles on evolt and several
books. I've learned a lot already.

My goal is ultimately to do freelance web design from home. I'd like to get
to the point where I really master html and css and can adequately
incorporate JavaScript when appropriate. I can usually work all week without
a problem, looking things up when needed. However, I have been helping
friends with websites and have already run into situations where I need help
from someone with experience with JavaScript or even server-side
technologies (e.g. a shopping cart for a musician to sell cds).

It is impossible to learn everything and honestly have no interest in
programming or anything that requires extensive typing of code--my fingers
don't work. :)

So, that's what I mean. I want to be self-employed, but be able to
collaborate with different people when needed. Basically, I want what you
have described above. I just don't know how to get it.

Tony