[thelist] Search engines and good code

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 19 19:24:02 CDT 2003

The company I work for is looking at getting a better search engine for
the corporate web site. It appears that they are leaning toward the
Google appliance. That got me to wondering... A lot of folks on this
list keep saying that using good markup improves the searchability of
your web site and gives you better rankings as a result. I'm wondering
if there is some empirical evidence out there to prove this. The
company is also looking into a web site redesign, and the Internet
Marketing Manager seems to think that the only thing that we'll have to
worry about is making sure all pages have metatags and all non-HTML has
metadata associated with it. He's a good page-layout artist, but his
opinions about good coding are that it is completely worthless to even
consider it. It would be nice to have a good counter-argument about
that. I'm curious if you open the box on the Google appliance, do they
actually tell you that using proper markup is going to help? Some how I
doubt it since you get plenty of poorly-coded results in a google
search. But I'm curious nonetheless. Anybody have evidence they could
share to prove that good markup really improves the searchability?