[thelist] To the mountain-biker

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 19 19:36:38 CDT 2003

You might be interested to know the structure for the web work at the
company I work for. It corroborates a previous post about bigger
companies having more opportunities to work from home. When I was first
looking into web design, I had no idea that this work could be
structured like this. I only knew of web design companies and
freelancers.

Our company headquarters are in Santa Barbara, CA. Our web designer
lives in Texas and we only see her a few times a year. She has a home
office. Our webmaster lives in L.A. somewhere. I've only seen him in
person once (and he looks just like his phone voice!) Our web servers
live in New Jersey, as does half the IT folks who are on the Web Team.
The servers in New Jersey also serve up the web pages for our Asian and
European sites. Our web designer in Texas is the one who promotes those
Asian and European languate pages to the public servers in New Jersey.
We have other web content people in Asia, Australia and Europe. We all
see each other at least once a year, and sometimes more than that. I
work on a web application that also has a publicly available marketing
component web site. That web site lives on a server in San Jose. I work
at the corporate headquarters, but only because I have always lived
here. Most of the people at the corporate headquarters that I work with
seem to all work at home on Fridays. I think it's the only way some of
them get any work done at all!

My point is that this can be truly global work. It ought to be a really
good fit for you.

Good luck!