[thelist] mailing lists for developers/contractors - finding more opportunities

Warbasse Design - Info info at warbassedesign.com
Mon Oct 27 16:00:16 CST 2003

Bruce,

The firmlist www.firmlist.com may assist you in finding possible "contracts"
with other media firms that need extra help.  Then you can find valuable
information regarding "contracts" (the actual documents you need to seal the
deal) at Creative Public www.creativepublic.com.  Hope that helps.

Tom's input is good as well.  Tenacity is the key to obtaining good
freelance contracts.  I have found that once I have done good work (website
development) in a specific industry (i.e.. online catalogs) it allows me to
leverage my portfolio to obtain more work by others in the same industry.

IMHO (Unless you know someone) most companies don't choose a design
firm/freelancer based on the strength of the individual designer(s) or their
skillsets but rather the reputation of the firm/freelancer based on who they
have done work for in the past.  The client will say "we liked your work on
xyz.com, could you do something like that for us?") - This is a best case
scenario.

You might want to try creating "case studies" of your work that speak to
businesses in general terms - showing them that you understand their
requirements base on past projects.  Have a marketing plan - Live your
marketing plan.  Don't put it aside until you have given it ample time to
work for you.  Word of mouth takes time.  Speak at professional networking
meetings as a guest if you are not in one.  Those are some things that have
worked pretty well for me.  Best of luck.

Phil Warbasse
www.warbassedesign.com
www.clickcall.biz