[thelist] window.showModalDialog giving me heartburn...

Tue Oct 28 04:39:52 CST 2003

cgeorge at basecorp.com wrote on 27 October 2003 23:04:

> I need to put a link on the page that window.showModalDialog opens,
> and have the new page load in the window behind the modal dialogue.

This doesn't seem to be possible (at least with IE6 on XP) -- the link will
not load in the background while the modal dialog is still being displayed.

If you want a cross-platform solution (i.e. one that does what you want, and
doesn't require IE in the first place) it may be worth having a look at:
http://www.dannyg.com/support/modalFix.html
and his original article at:
http://developer.netscape.com/viewsource/goodman_modal/goodman_modal.html

He explains it a lot better than I could!

HTH.

--Chris.
www.cbrody.com