[thelist] how to disable the return key in web forms?

John Dobson j.dobson at find-a-part.com
Thu Oct 30 05:31:55 CST 2003

Following some usability testing of our web based request form we noticed that some users try to use the return/enter key to move on to the next field.  Unfortunately this action causes the first page of the form to be submitted with the resulting error message saying that certain required fields are not filled in.

Does anyone know how to change the behaviour of the return/enter key depending on where abouts in the form the focus is?

Do people think javascript would sort this out?

Any help would be appreciated

John Dobson