[thelist] Hidden CGI Communications

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Thu Oct 30 16:46:24 CST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Hershel Robinson wrote:

> I work on an Win IE6-only site and we do hidden communications with the
> server via an iframe. In short, I load JS data into the iframe and then the
> JS code in the page itself processes that data.
>
> I am wondering, out of curiosity, do people have any other solutions to this
> challenge? Last I recall, NetScape did not support the iframe tag. Actually,
> I don't believe it's valid HTML either, which would be another GOOD reason
> to find an alternative.

You could try using a transparent GIF. Pass parameters from client to
server via the querystring, and from server to client via cookies. Use
Javascript to force the image to reload as needed.

As far as I know, iframe is perfectly valid in HTML 4.0 or newer:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html#h-16.5

The XHTML specs mention it, too, though merely to note that the 'name'
attribute has been deprecated in favor of 'id'.

And it's been supported in IE since version 3, in Netscape since version
6, Opera since version 4, and all versions of Mozilla, AFAIK:

  http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/supportkey/i.htm

--
Ernest MacDougal Campbell III, MCP+I, MCSE <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/             http://spam.gunters.org/