[thelist] Submitting a form with javascript

John Corry lists at neoncowboy.com
Sun Nov 2 21:20:14 CST 2003

I am at wit's end.

I hardly ever work with JS, but am just trying to do something so simple
it's funny:

I want to submit a form when a user clicks a link.

Why? So I can display the form submit mechanism outside the <form> tags.

I made a function to do the submission:
	function updateIt()
	{
		window.document.updateForm.submit()
		return true
	} // end function
</script>

And I have a form:
<form action="/admin/update_form.php" method="post" name="update"
id="updateForm">

And I have a link:

And when I click the link, the mozilla javascript console tells me:
Error: window.document.updateForm.submit is not a function
Source File: http://nishiyama.localhost.com/admin/update_form.php#
Line: 18

WTF!?
Submit() is not a method of a form object?
Window.document.updateForm is not a form object?

What is going on? I went through 10 stupid javascript tutorials and this is
how ALL OF THEM referenced the form! Why won't it work for me? Yes, I have
javascript on.

/me is so frustrated he can hardly stand it...

Thanks if you can help me see the stupidity I'm missing,

John Corry