[thelist] png in IE

liorean liorean at f2o.org
Mon Nov 3 11:15:57 CST 2003

Marcus Andersson wrote:
> I have these icons in png format and want to make use of them in IE. The
> icons have transparent backgrounds that works nicely in
> Mozilla/Photoshop. When I use them in IE I get this ugly grey background
> instead of the transparent one.
>
> Should I do anything special to make it work or should I consider to
> convert the icons to gif?

There's a number of things you could do. First of all, do you use alpha
channels or pure on/off transparency? IE handles 8bit PNGs as were they
gifs, in other words if you make your PNGs 8bit, you will get full
transparency for all alpha channels, but a smaller size than the
equivalent gif. As for getting alpha channels to work, you can do that
to. Have a look at
<http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html> for making
high-color 16-48bit to work. It requires both stylesheets and Javascript
to work. (You can combine it with a conditional comments for a valid way
of doing it.)

--
liorean <mailto:liorean at user.bip.net>

ViewStyles, ViewScripts, ToggleStyles and GraphicsInfo bookmarklets and
Theme Switcher, Cookies Handler scripts:
<http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>